About Our Lab
Heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF) accounts for > 50% of all heart failure cases and is associated with high morbidity and mortality. HFpEF prevalence is increasing with the aging population and the ongoing epidemics of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension. HFpEF is under-recognized, diagnosis can be challenging, and there are few proven therapies for HFpEF. Therefore, in 2007, Dr. Sanjiv Shah started the world's first dedicated clinical program for HFpEF at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine with the goal of improving the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of HFpEF. Since 2007, the Northwestern HFpEF Program has been instrumental in understanding: (1) the pathogenesis of HFpEF development; (2) the pathophysiology of the complex HFpEF syndrome; (3) sub-phenotyping of HFpEF with machine learning; and (4) improving clinical trial enrollment and testing novel therapies for HFpEF. In our laboratory, we continue to study these aspects of the HFpEF syndrome in animal and cellular models, large-scale population-based epidemiology studies, HFpEF clinical trials, and in clinical physiological studies in patients with prevalent HFpEF. Major tools used in our laboratory include speckle-tracking echocardiography, ventricular-arterial coupling analyses, invasive and non-invasive pressure-volume analysis, and machine learning.
- Feldman T, Mauri L, Kahwash R, Litwin S, Ricciardi MJ, van der Harst P, Penicka M, Fail PS, Kaye DM, Petrie MC, Basuray A, Hummel SL, Forde-McLean R, Nielsen CD, Lilly S, Massaro JM, Burkhoff D, Shah SJ; for the REDUCE LAP-HF I Investigators. A Transcatheter InterAtrial Shunt Device for the Treatment of Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction (REDUCE LAP-HF I): A Phase 2, Randomized, Sham-Controlled Trial. Circulation 2017 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29142012.
- Selvaraj S, Claggett B, Shah SJ, Anand I, Rouleau JL, Desai AS, Lewis EF, Pitt B, Sweitzer NK, Pfeffer MA, Solomon SD. Systolic blood pressure and cardiovascular outcomes in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: an analysis of the TOPCAT trial. Eur J Heart Fail 2017 Nov 16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29148144.
- Sanjiv J. Shah, MD, was formally invested as the Neil J. Stone, MD Professor at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. Click here to learn more.
- NHLBI HFpEF Working Group (chaired by Sanjiv Shah, MD) released it's recommendations on research priorities in HFpEF: https://goo.gl/ErwA9Y
- Results from the REDUCE LAP-HF I trial have been published. Click here to view the article.