About Our Lab
Heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF) accounts for > 50% of all heart failure cases and is associated with high morbidity and mortality. HFpEF prevalence is increasing with the aging population and the ongoing epidemics of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension. HFpEF is under-recognized, diagnosis can be challenging, and there are few proven therapies for HFpEF. Therefore, in 2007, Dr. Sanjiv Shah started the world's first dedicated clinical program for HFpEF at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine with the goal of improving the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of HFpEF. Since 2007, the Northwestern HFpEF Program has been instrumental in understanding: (1) the pathogenesis of HFpEF development; (2) the pathophysiology of the complex HFpEF syndrome; (3) sub-phenotyping of HFpEF with machine learning; and (4) improving clinical trial enrollment and testing novel therapies for HFpEF. In our laboratory, we continue to study these aspects of the HFpEF syndrome in animal and cellular models, large-scale population-based epidemiology studies, HFpEF clinical trials, and in clinical physiological studies in patients with prevalent HFpEF. Major tools used in our laboratory include speckle-tracking echocardiography, ventricular-arterial coupling analyses, invasive and non-invasive pressure-volume analysis, and machine learning.
- Selvaraj S, Claggett B, Shah SJ, Anand IS, Rouleau JL, Desai AS, Lewis EF, Vaduganathan M, Wang SY, Pitt B, Sweitzer NK, Pfeffer MA, Solomon SD. Utility of the Cardiovascular Physical Examination and Impact of Spironolactone in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction. Circ Heart Fail. 2019 Jul;12(7):e006125. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.119.006125. Epub 2019 Jun 21. PubMed PMID: 31220936.
- Shah SJ, Voors AA, McMurray JJV, Kitzman DW, Viethen T, Bomfim Wirtz A, Huang E, Pap AF, Solomon SD. Effect of Neladenoson Bialanate on Exercise Capacity Among Patients With Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2019 Jun 4;321(21):2101-2112. doi: 10.1001/jama.2019.6717. PubMed PMID: 31162568; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6549300.
- Results from the PANACHE trial have been published. Click here to view the article.
- Clinical Breakthrough! Check out this article describing new advances in heart failure treatment.
- Sanjiv J. Shah, MD, was formally invested as the Neil J. Stone, MD Professor at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. Click here to learn more.
- NHLBI HFpEF Working Group (chaired by Sanjiv Shah, MD) released it's recommendations on research priorities in HFpEF: https://goo.gl/ErwA9Y