About Luo Lab
The Luo Lab at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine is broadly interested in the research of Multi-modal Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Vision/Image Processing, Natural Language Processing, Multi-Omics, Evaluating AI (Fairness, Transparency, Bias), Exploring the Impact of AI (Social, Economic, Cultural), with a focus on biomedical and clinical applications. Some of our recent works are on multi-modal machine learning (including deep learning) models applied to better understanding complex diseases, informing targeted therapies, improving patient outcomes, and reducing bias and disparity in health care. The common theme of these works aims at building AI/ML models that improve both prediction accuracy and interpretability (stronger requirement than explainability), by exploring relational information in each data modality. See Research page for more detail.
PI Dr. Luo is currently Associate Professor at Department of Preventive Medicine, at Feinberg School of Medicine in Northwestern University. He is Chief AI Officer at Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (NUCATS) and Institute for Augmented Intelligence in Medicine. Dr. Luo earned his PhD degree from MIT EECS with a math minor. He won the prestigious American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) New Investigator Award in 2020. He served on AMIA Membership and Outreach Committee. He has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers. His publications appear in leading journals including Nature Medicine, JAMA, AJRCCM, JAMIA, JBI etc. He has published in and/or served as PC members for top AI and informatics conferences including AAAI, KDD, CVPR, ACL, AMIA etc.
Find details about our current work
Meet our team members
- About Us
Connect with our group
- Postdoc Opening
- [Current] multiple postdoc positions available
- [6/2022] "Improving Fairness in the Prediction of Heart Failure Length-of-Stay and Mortality by Integrating Social Determinants of Health" accepted by the journal Circulation: Heart Failure
- [6/2022] Dr. Luo gave keynote to Mayo Clinic Neuroscience Convergence Conference
- [11/2021] Dr. Luo gave keynote to the AI Summits & IoT World Silicon Valley
- [8/2021] Dr. Luo gave keynote to ACM-BCB COVID-19 Plenary Session
- [8/2021] Welcome new Postdoc Associate Dr. Adrienne Kline
- [5/2021] Welcome new Postdoc Associate Dr. Jiyoung Shin
- [3/2021] Welcome new Postdoc Associate Dr. Yiqing Zhao and MD/PhD student Bilal Naved