About Our Lab
Cardiovascular disease remains the number one cause of death in the developed countries. Our lab is interested in studying the role of various metabolic processes and iron in the development of cardiovascular disease. We use various in vitro and in vivo models to modulate cellular and mitochondrial iron levels and alter glucose and fatty acid metabolism and mitochondrial function, followed by assessment of cardiac function in response to stress.
- Our findings on mechanisms of pregnancy-associated heart growth was published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation (JCI) and covered by Northwestern Medicine News Center.
- Our findings on aging and brain iron was publised in the Journal of Clinical Investigation (JCI)
- Dr. Hossein Ardehali was featured on KCBS radio and spoke about the cardiovascular complications of COVID19.
- Our findings on Hexokinase 1 celular localization regulation was published in the Molecular Cell.
- Our findings on liver regeneration regulates cellular iron homeostasis was published in the Elife.
- Our finding of new therapeutic target in diabetes post on Nothwestern News
- Our finding of SIRT 2 and Iron overload post on Northwestern News
- Our finding of overexpression SNRK protein improve Cardiac efficiency is the #1 news on Cardiologist Connect that is sent to national and international audience. NW News Center.
- Our findings on lipotoxicity and cardiomyopathy associated with Arnt (HIF1β) was published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation (JCI) and covered by Northwestern University.
- Our recent paper on iron-mediated doxorubicin cardiotoxicity in the Journal of Clinical Investigation (JCI) is being covered by the Oncology Nurse Advisor and EurekAlert!
- Our results on cellular iron homeostasis made the cover of Cell Metabolism
- Our paper on mTOR and iron was highlighted in Nature Medicine, volume 18, number 12, December 2012, Page 1753
- Additional coverage of our findings on the Feinberg School of Medicine website