Our lab focuses on the important basic question of how chromosomes are segregated during cell division to ensure the complete and accurate inheritance of the genome. Centromeres are specified by the incorporation of a histone variant CENP-A, and stable inheritance of this locus is controlled by an epigenetic pathway. Determining the molecular mechanism responsible for the epigenetic inheritance is the major focus of the lab. Chromosome instability is a hallmark of cancer and can drive the formation of tumors. Therefore, how centromere specification is controlled is a basic biological question with great therapeutic potential.
Our long-term goal is to delineate the role of this process in tumorigenesis and translate our basic understanding of the enzymes and proteins involved in this process into therapeutic approaches for targeting proliferative disease. We use a combination of cell biology, biochemical purification, and in vitro reconstitution of centromeric chromatin to discover the mechanism of epigenetic inheritance and CENP-A function during mitosis.
- 03.10.2017Dr. Shashank Srivastava joins the Foltz Lab as a Postdoctoral Fellow. Welcome!
- 01.18.2017Sathyan et al. accepted at Nature Communications! Congrats Sathyan!
- 10.27.2016Meghan's paper on Condensin II at the centromere is accepted at MBOC!
- 09.13.2016Marta accepted to the EZH graduate program in Zurich! Congrats!
- Sathyan KM, Fachinetti D, Foltz DR α-amino trimethylation of CENP-A by NRMT is required for full recruitment of the centromere. Nat Commun 2017 Mar 7;8:14678 PMID: 28266506, PMCID: PMC5343448
- Barnhart-Dailey MC, Trivedi P, Stukenberg PT, Foltz DR HJURP interaction with the condensin II complex during G1 promotes CENP-A deposition. Mol Biol Cell 2017 Jan 1;28(1):54-64 PMID: 27807043
- Stellfox ME, Nardi IK, Knippler CM, Foltz DR Differential Binding Partners of the Mis18α/β YIPPEE Domains Regulate Mis18 Complex Recruitment to Centromeres. Cell Rep 2016 Jun 7;15(10):2127-35 PMID: 27239045
- Zasadzińska E, Foltz DR Centromeres of a Different CAL-ibre. Dev Cell 2016 Apr 18;37(2):105-6 PMID: 27093076
- Nardi IK, Zasadzińska E, Stellfox ME, Knippler CM, Foltz DR Licensing of Centromeric Chromatin Assembly through the Mis18α-Mis18β Heterotetramer. Mol Cell 2016 Mar 3;61(5):774-87 PMID: 26942680
- Bailey AO, Panchenko T, Shabanowitz J, Lehman SM, Bai DL, Hunt DF, Black BE, Foltz DR Identification of the Post-translational Modifications Present in Centromeric Chromatin. Mol Cell Proteomics 2016 Mar;15(3):918-31 PMID: 26685127